The Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra is looking for engaged, excited and motivated Interns for the fall semester. Interns assist on special projects and the day-to-day activities of the A2SO while learning about all aspects of arts administration. Internships are part-time, unpaid and flexible. For more information view the A2SO Internship Brochure.
September - December : Focus - Event Marketing, Social Media and ticket promotions
January - May : Focus - Special Fundraising Events, Social Media and ticket promotions
June - September : Focus - Writing, Public Relations, Taste of Music Concert Series and Social Media
Assist members of the marketing team in special projects and day-to-day activities that support the promotion of A2SO events.
Assist in production of marketing materials for the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra including invitations, flyers and brochures. Create and execute marketing plans for A2SO promotional events. Assist with press releases, social media campaigns and special events. Assist with advertising campaigns across all channels. Create and update various marketing contact databases. Opportunities for special interest projects are available.
1. Students pursuing an undergraduate or master’s degree in marketing, advertising, arts administration or music preferred.
2. Excellent writing and communication skills.
3. Ability to work with children.
4. Good organization and attention to detail.
5. Strong computer skills.
6. Transportation is required.
7. Graphic Design and Google Adwords ability is preferred.
8.Be able to work at least 8 hours/week plus be available for events outside of their usual office hours;
9. Be available for Intern Orientation at the start of the internship.
To apply for a marketing internship submit a resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Intern (September-December or January-May)
Education interns work directly with the Director of Education and Outreach to create, implement, market, and evaluate A2SO Education programs both in the schools and in the community.
Education interns will help staff events including Instrument Petting Zoos, Family Concerts, Youth Concerts, Kinderconcerts, and Classroom concerts. They will help to create supporting educational materials for concerts and programs based on Music Education standards and benchmarks. They will organize and schedule events, help with the day-to-day administration of education programs, and research trends in orchestral Education and Outreach.
1. Students pursuing a degree or having recently completed a degree in Music Education or another field of Music are preferred.
2. Have the ability to read music and an interest in music education for people of all ages;
3. Have excellent writing and communication skills;
4. Be able to work with children;
5. Have good organization skills and attention to detail;
6. Be able to provide their own transportation to the A2SO offices in downtown Ann Arbor and to events throughout Southeast Michigan;
7. Be able to work at least 8 hours/week plus be available for events outside of their usual office hours;
8. Be available for Intern Orientation at the start of the internship.
To apply for an Education Internship, submit a resume and references to email@example.com.
"My experience as an intern for the A2SO was of such high quality because of the staff's flexibility and genuine investment in my growth. The diversity of work also provided unique opportunities for me; I worked directly with the Education Director and Education Coordinator on existing and new programs, assisted and shadowed staff backstage at rehearsals and performances, worked with kids in programs at schools, libraries, and community centers, collaborated with other nonprofits in the area, and participated in events throughout the community. I was challenged enough to stretch myself, while still being set up to be successful. I highly recommend pursuing an internship with the A2SO!" - Sasha Gale, Resident Advisor at the Joffrey Ballet School and Residence Hall Counselor at Interlochen Center for the Arts
Taste of Music Intern (June-September)
Taste of Music Interns work directly with the Director of Education and Outreach and the Production Coordinator to implement the A2SO’s Farmers Market Outreach program: Taste of Music.
Interns will assist in creating an exciting demonstration and performance space at Farmers Markets, will troubleshoot logistical issues, assist musicians, staff the Instrument Petting Zoo, and act as ambassadors for the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra.
1. This program is open to rising High School Juniors and Seniors, recent High School graduates, and College students with an interest in music outreach or arts management.
2. Be reliable and responsible;
3. Have reliable transportation to farmers market sites;
4. Have excellent communication skills;
5. Be interested in working with the public of all ages, from young children through senior citizens;
6. Be available for at least 6 Taste of Music events (to be scheduled at the start of the internship);
7. Be available for an Intern Seminar at the start of the internship.
To apply for a Taste of Music Internship, submit a resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography and Videography Intern
Photography and Videography Interns focus on photo and video shoots for concerts and special events for the Symphony. Assist with social media, email and promotional campaigns with visuals.
1.) Experience in Photography and Editing
2.) Send a portfolio along with your resume
3.) Be reliable and responsible;
4.) Have reliable transportation
5.) Have good organization skills and attention to detail;
6.) Be able to work at least 8 hours/week plus be available for events outside of their usual office hours;
7.) Be available for Intern Orientation at the start of the internship.
To apply for a Photography/Videography Internship, submit a resume and references to email@example.com.